Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Comment from Alex Romero, US-based Photographer

Note: Have just received a comment from Alex (nickname for Renato) Romero, a friend from the good old days in UP Los Banos. He is now based in Charlotte, North Carolina. He transformed himself as an accomplished professional photographer. I have suggested to him to do photo shoot in Bohol, probably with focus on how families and local communities use their own skills and assets to cope with the day-to-day challenge to meet basic needs and aspirations.
 
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Renato Romero <alexrom1@me.com> wrote:
Nestor,

The blog site is a better way to show ideas and progress of your work versus Facebook. Reaching back into your past musings provide a historical legacy.
Keep doing good works, it is gratifying for you, surely and that it attracts supporters so that more can be done by one man alone.

My former blogsite with photographs was posterous.com but was bought out by twitter and I also managed to erase a good portion of it by mistake. I should do that again too.

I have a new site for pictures alone as many customers here have asked to see more... alexromero.photoshelter.com 

This week, one Boholanon - Rico Ancog, who was supported as a scholar in UPLB by the Peace Corps Alumni for Philippine Development ( PCAFPD) and now a PHD and Professor at UPLB will be presenting a paper in New York City on a study he did in Mindoro. I have known Rico since his undergrad days and continue to have beer with him whenever I am there.

In Dec, I may be back and stay longer, maybe I can make time to do a pictorial in Bohol. Take care....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Doc Nestor! I visited Alex Romero's site and was very much impressed by his works.

    As for your suggestion to him, "I have suggested to him to do photo shoot in Bohol, probably with focus on how families and local communities use their own skills and assets to cope with the day-to-day challenge to meet basic needs and aspirations." -- this I find interesting and perhaps, I can interest Ruth Medford as well. I had done street photography (photojournalism) in Manila in the past -- most specifically, Quiapo, Sta. Cruz and Binondo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tito Eric, Happy that you have visited Alex' site. Glad to know that you have been into photojournalism. Yes, kindly interest Ruth, too, in this potential project with Alex when he comes in Dec. You, Ruth and I can collaborate with Alex for the photo shoot on Baclayon so we can project it as an interesting place to visit both for tourism and development. Your photos can also portray the creative spirit of the Boholanos in coping with day-to-day problems, focusing on basic assets rather than on deprivation alone. You and Alex can probably have a photo exhibit as part of fundraising for a cause, e.g. Bikes for Education Baclayon in cooperation with Joel Uichico's Bikes for the Philippines; autistic children (we can include in the exhibition the paintings of some autistic children, etc.).

    Yes, kindly interest Ruth in this project we can do with Alex and you and your art.




    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex,

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think blogging is a better alternative than FB in documenting our perspective on development activities. It took me quite some time to realize about FB's limitations given the broad range of interests of FB friends.

    Have just visited your new site. Fantastic! I saw some photos from your posterous.com before. Same touch; same sensitivity. And your choice of perspective is quite unique. These photos will be among your legacies. I heard you a photo exhibit at LB, too.

    Happy to hear about Rico Ancog. Interesting. Will go and try to meet him when I visit UPLB. I sometimes go there to visit my close friend, Rem Torres. Perhaps he also knows Rico.

    Good idea about your plan to come in Dec. Will suggest a project for you. Nobody has done this before here - a photo exhibit showing not only the various faces of poverty, in a variety of contexts, but also what they do to survive, their household and community assets which they enhance as livelihood products. The poor are not really as helpless as they are portrayed to be by dev workers and donors. Must show the true grit in people, how they face up to the day-to-day challenge to survive.

    Then later we can have a photo exhibit for fund-raising to help scale up their current livelihood activities.

    Will look forward to seeing you here in December.

    Cheers. Nes

    ReplyDelete