Saturday, January 03, 2015

Memoirs of an Old Warrior or Development Worker?

7.28 a.m. Mil Sevilla-Reyes, our former high school classmate and close friend, has assured us she is on track for the release of the 2nd edition of the book by the first quarter of 2015. She has actually taken a big chunk of the work regarding this edition, which is being made possible by a donation from Mrs. Corazon Verzosa-Lanuza, her former student at our Alma Mater, the Quezon Provincial High School in Lucena City. As announced before, this edition will have Part 2 which will deal with our experience in implementing a pilot project for families made homeless by the earthquake which hit Bohol on 15 Oct 2013.

The donor and Mil, along with some other alumni,agree that the two-part edition can motivate the high school students to appreciate poetry and development while still at the secondary school. Since Mil was for many years an English teacher here and abroad, she knows precisely how the book can achieve this objective. Due to the bulk of work she has been doing for this book, I have proposed to her and the team that she should be considered a co-author rather than solely editor of this edition.

I hope to help her out more significantly during this time prior to publication. The house build project our Foundation has achieved its objective of piloting a community-based approach to providing shelter assistance to families rendered homeless by the 15 Oct 2013 earthquake.

My close friends have advised me to take a break from active development work not only to preserve my health but also, some say, my sanity, by limiting myself to giving advice to young people rather than do the field work myself. A sensible advice, actually, except that these young people are too much in a hurry and do not have the patience in working with people at the periphery.

Indeed it will be quite challenging to work with young people in projects that can put to good use their gadgets and expertise in social media in the service of pro-poor development. But, perhaps,
at age 72, I may not have the stamina and the mental alertness of someone at age 27 to understand how these new technologies work to achieve cost-effectiveness and efficiency in projects. As everyone suspects, as our young consultant Emily Pedersen and the equally young overseas volunteers, Marit Meijer, Arno Djikstra and Annelies van der Maas, seem to validate, I am good in talking and can give all the priests and pastors we work with a good run for their Sunday collections, but I may not have the goodies to understand all the tools of the digital age.

Hence, my close friends from college and the post-college Bohemian and later, activist era, have suggested that I write the magnum opus I have been threatening to write during the past ten years or so. They suggested as title, "Memoirs of an Old Warrior." Well, OK, I am game to this suggestion. I suspect this is related to this gift of mobile recorder from my friend Hilmy from the Maldives.

All my close friends after high school seem to arrive at a consensus that I it would be good, if I talk to a voice recorder, rather than to them, so that I can spare their eardrums and the same time, come up with a book of lessons or what-not and perhaps help create in the process, generations of committed development workers - if ever they can forget their gadgets for thirty minutes and thirty-five seconds a day to read an Old Man's tall tales!

Good idea, actually, something to chew on when I am not talking. But first thing first: Mil Sevilla-Reyes and the team should finish first the second edition of the Old Warrior and Other Poems. Otherwise, we do not something to link up with to justify the new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment