Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Laarni's Letter; April's Letter

For the past 20 Christmases or so, Mil Sevilla-Reyes, a close friend and former high school classmate from way,way back in Lucena City, has been carrying on the tradition of writing and distributing letters that tell friends about milestones in her family's life during the year about to end. Those letters have been a fascinating read; our classmates and other friends look forward to receiving this letter each year. It chronicles key family events which no Christmas cards can do. Mil used to write these letters until recently when she encouraged her daughters (April, Laarni and Carmel) to do so. This year, Laarni and April actually prepared a letter each. To give the wide readership they deserve, we will print them here in this section. I must thank Mil and Ces for keeping us in the loop after all these years.

Laarni's Letter:

Merry Christmas and Season’s Greetings to all! Hope everybody’s had an enjoyable year and doing well. Life over this way has been pretty good - another year swiftly gone though productively filled nonetheless.

My year began with another month long trip to the Philippines to see relatives and friends, as well as make the most of my three-month uni holidays. Some family friends from Sydney were also over at the same time so it was good to enjoy our holiday together. I stayed mainly in Manila and Lucena, but was able to spend time in Batangas and visit Villa Escudero with the Sydney folks. The month went by quicker than I expected and soon enough, I was back at uni beginning the first semester of my final year. I’ve actually just recently finished my course and am now awaiting the results to gain my degree in Bachelor of Arts in Organisational Learning.

Having majored in Human Resource Development, my plan is to find a job in the field sometime next year. For now, I’m still working as a casual in my retail job and I’d rather leave it that way so I can take a break, relax and have fun over the summer. Although there are no plans to go overseas this time, a few trips out of Sydney with mates won’t go astray.

April’s out of the country. She’s travelled to countless destinations since leaving in July for a yearlong venture. She and a friend are now based in London and by the sounds of all her adventures I’d say she’s having a great time. She’s started working with O2, a telco similar to Telstra, though not before she attended World Youth Day in Cologne and toured Europe. Definitely, a well deserved break from working life. She also flew to New York at the beginning of November to celebrate Lola’s birthday with the Reyeses. She had fun hanging out with all the cousins. Speaking to her on the phone the other night, she’s already filled me in on her next plan: to travel to South Africa sometime in 2006. Wouldn’t we all love to spend a year like that?

She and Carmel both moved back home at the beginning of the year, with April renting out her apartment to save money for her trip and Carmel focusing on completing her studies. Carmel has been working on her degree in Interior Architecture, while also teaching music (keyboard) to students in various primary schools. I think she’s gotten used to being called “Miss Carmel”. She always has funny stories to tell us about her kids. Approached by one kid’s dad, she began playing the piano for his local R&B cover band. She enjoyed performing different gigs around Sydney for a while. Heaps more active than I, she’s also taken up Capouera – a form of Brazilian street fighting/dancing. I guess it’s a really good workout and also a lot of fun because I always see it being performed in the City and attracting great crowds! Maybe I can take it up with Carmel as part of my New Year’s resolutions.

Now to Mum and Dad: they have yet another year of Bass High and ResMed under their belts, with Mum immensely enjoying her role as Librarian and Dad fully settling into his new work location and innovative facility. Mum’s still very happy at her school and I often wonder when she’ll ever get enough of it. Somehow I don’t think that will be for a while yet. Dad’s well and truly gotten used to travelling the distance to work everyday and is even keen to get me into a role related to my course with the company. We’ll see what happens.

The year saw a visit from Dad’s youngest sister, Tita Ludy, who flew in from Connecticut for a two-week stay here in Sydney. As well as doing all the sightseeing and touristy things around here, she was able to visit Cairns in Australia’s north when Mum and Dad and their friends flew there to celebrate my Ninang Salve’s birthday. Even though Tita Ludy fit in with all the ‘oldies,’ my cousins, sisters and I would often refer to her as our ‘big sis’! It’s always good fun having our relos from overseas visit so I wonder what (or who) is in store for next year.

Well, that’s about it from the Reyes camp for this year. As for the New Year, April’s still not definite about when she’ll be coming back, Carmel will be finishing her degree and I’ll probably be on a quest to find a new job. All the while having a good time no doubt! I hear there are plans for both Mum and Dad and the other parents to holiday in Las Vegas (?)

‘Til next Christmas letter everyone. I’m sure you’ll be filled in on the 2006 details then! Have great holidays and Happy Christmas!!!

Love, Laarni

Merry Christmas from London town!

Wherever you are in the world, I hope that this letter finds you well.

I have been very fortunate this year to meet and experience the people and places that I have. Laarni has summarised my year well and yes, my adventures have been brilliant! Before heading for London, I visited the Philippines in May staying most of the time in Lucena and spending some time in Bohol with the Pestelos family.

I’ve been in London nearly four months now and over this period have been able to settle in to this big and vibrant city. I’ve settled in my parish of Our Lady Queen of Heaven here in Bayswater, and joined a local hockey team. But there are things that I miss about Sydney – my family most especially, my friends and the good weather.

If I had to pick my favourite places so far, they would be Rome, Krakow and Prague. I’ve recently been able to visit Prague for the second time. My visit coincided with the opening of the Christmas markets in the old town square which had choirs from all parts of Europe performing, good traditional Czech food and it was snowing! It is a very pretty town.

Through my travelling adventures, I have also met some really great people from different parts of the world. And thanks to technology, we’ve been able to keep the friendships alive and meet up again on the road. Living in London has also meant that I have met many Australians, Kiwis and South Africans. It is true when they say that London is full of antipodeans.

The beauty of meeting so many fellow Aussies, is that we are travelling similar journeys and can share in each other’s experiences. The down side is that I’ve come all this way yet I struggle to meet English people!

On my agenda for 2006, is New Year’s Eve in Edinburgh, then Paris, South Africa (to visit my good friend Riefqah), Copenhagen and hopefully back to Spain and Italy. There is a lot to fit in before I head home to Sydney!

Happy Christmas and may 2006 bring us all blessings of health and happiness.

Love, April

P. S. Our thoughts are with Tito Pari as he and his colleagues celebrate their 40th year of ordination in his parish of Apad, Calauag on 18 December.

We’re also reaching out to Tita Laura Jardin and her children in San Diego. They are facing Christmas for the first time without Tito Johnny. He passed away on 2nd July

2 comments:

  1. Nice feeling to be re-reading my girls' letters from your blogspot and doing so with Argee seated next to me.

    Thanks for posting these.

    Warm regards, dear friend.
    Mil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your comment, Mil. Imagine, those letters were written 8 years ago. Happy that my blogs have been retrieved and to read your comment.

    Ah, the digital age has caught up with us. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete