Saturday, October 29, 2005

Back2Manila

10.00 a.m. Jakarta time, which is one hour ahead of RP time. I have checked the Blog section and found out my entry yesterday is missing. Where can it be?

Perhaps it goes to be saved somehow. So, for the moment, Jakarta Blues2 is on deck.

I arrived late this morning, almost 9. I usually come half past 8. The taxi I took from the hotel had a different route. What normally takes 15 minutes took us 30 minutes. Different drivers, I found out during the past 6 days, have different ways to go to the office from the Hotel Mega Anggrek. It's good in a way. I get to see different parts of the city.

But this morning is quite different. I was charged Rp 33,000, which is Rp 10,000 more than my usual fare. I could not argue with the taxi driver because he had this table that clearly showed what I would pay given the route we took. But, of course, he assumed I did not know some other routes which could be shorter.

It's like I am in Manila. Taxi drivers always prove to passengers they are smarter. How about putting them in one city or region, for that matter, and let them run things? Probably things will run better because taxi drivers anywhere in the world are smarter than the rest of us. They will always get you to the place you want to go - and they are so creative about the possible routes to take to bring you there.

Now I go back to this EU proposal I am preparing for Habitat Indonesia. Will Jakarta Blues3 disappear, too, in cyberspace? Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment