Sunday, October 16, 2005

Old Friends

Old friends have kept turning up during the last two years or so. I am trying to figure out if there is some kind of logic behind it all. Or, is this just coincidence?

Richard Prado and Ces Adorna, friends from those UNICEF days 20 years ago, managed to visit us here two years ago. Mil Sevilla, my close friend in high school, visited us here during the same period that the two were here. Of course, I see Rem Torres, my closest friend in college, now and then. Last Oct. 2, we were with him and his wife, Kits, in Manila to celebrate his birthday, which was on the day before.

Bituin Gonzales, my kumare, was here in Laya, Bohol a couple of times this year. I had not met her for almost 20 years, I think. I met Ruth and Sammy Ruiz in Dumaguete City in early 2004 after years of not seeing them. I know Ruth from those NEDA days and Sammy from our UP Los Banos days. Talking about UPLB, I met Dr. Willy Padolina after decades of not seeing him on a plane from Jakarta to Manila. That was early August this year.

I just came back from Dili, Timor Leste. There I met Offie Valdecanas, our Mother General during those country programming days with UNICEF in the late 80s. She was with Dr. Arnold Calooy, my inaanak sa kasal.
There must be a reason why I have kept bumping with old friends in recent years. I feel happy seeing them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment